How To Choose LIGHTING for Your Home Interior Design
An incorrect lighting plan can ruin your space. It doesn’t matter if you have the best materials found, the perfect colors and beautiful textures. If they are not illuminated correctly, it’s not worth the investment.
If you want to learn how to select your lamps and distribute them correctly. In a space, this article post is perfect for you. I will show you the types of lamps used in interior design and how to choose and combine them, I will give you some tips and tricks on how to get a perfect lighting plan.
Let’s start knowing the different types of lamps that exist according to their function. As a lighting designer i like to divide them into two large groups, decorative lamps and architectural lamps. Decorative lamps are dues that, apart from offering us a luminous effect, contribute to the aesthetics of the space.
These lamps come in different shapes and styles, such as pendant lamps wall, sconces floor or table lamp. Apart from illuminating, a certain area. Its objective is to beautify the space thanks to its shape and materials that make it up apart from providing light. Decorative lamps are also a crucial element in the composition, size statics to choose them.
We need to consider two fundamental aspects: one, how the lamp projects the light and two high aesthetic, the decorative lamps that have a screen projects, the light softly and uniformly. This type of decorative lamp contribute to the general lighting of the environment. Sealing lamps table lamps, wild sconces or floor lamps with a screen are ideal for creating a cozy atmosphere, because the light and shadows that it projects are soft.
They are ideal for bedrooms, living rooms and family rooms. Decorative lamps that have focused light are used to illuminate surfaces where specific tasks are performed, such as reading studying, drawing eating or cooking apart from being very functional by offering adequate lighting for tasks, these lamps are also a fundamental part of the space decoration.
Now, as you know, that decorative lamps can generate different lighting effects, you can realize that a decorative lamp can work better in a space than others. The best choice will depend on the activities you will carry out in a specific area. So this is the first aspect to consider when selecting deck reflects when selecting deck reflects, determine what style, characterizes the space and select a lamp that corresponds and suits your design.
For example, if your interior design style is minimalist, opt for a lamp with simple lines and shape. If you are one of those who likes to make styles, you can choose lamps that contrast with your decoration to make it the focal point of a space. Usually a space has different deck rifles to combine them. You must make sure that there is a connection between them.
They need a common thread to warranty that the space composition feels cohesive. You can achieve this by choosing lamps with similar shapes made with different materials or colors, or you can combine lamps with totally different shapes, but with the same material or color.
We already know about decorative lamps. Now, let’s talk about the second group, the architectural lamps. These are the ones that are part of the geometry of architecture. They are discrete lamps used in all interior spaces, regardless of their style. Its objective is practical and functional to illuminate the space. These lamps are recessed, lamps ceiling mounted lamps, led strips, spotlights and track lamps. Its main objective is to correctly illuminate the space and accentuate deck, roof elements, architectural factors or materials.
Let’s see what to use and how to use each one, precise lamps. They are very typical for the general lighting of space. You need to have a full ceiling to install them, since they need space for its installation system. This can be used in any area for both residential and commercial use. They are functional and very discrete lamps that don’t alter the room’s aesthetics. The beam angle of light can vary if the beam angle of the lamps is wide.
They are ideal for any space ambient lighting from living rooms, bedrooms dining rooms kitchen to corridors. If the beam angle is narrow, the correct use of these is to accentuate specific areas. Decorative or architectural detail, but not to be distributed throughout the space to achieve general lighting. I also have a free guide on lighting design that can help.
You understand a bit more about a lighting theory. You can find the link in the description box below ceiling. Mountain lamps have practically the same characteristics of the recessed ones. Still they are used in spaces where there is no false ceiling. Its main objective is the space’s general lighting.
On the other hand, the spotlights aim to highlight a specific interior design elements such as paintings, sculptures, decorative items, wall, textures and so on. The spotlight must have a narrow, beam angle that focuses on the specific point you want. It can be adjusted to focus in the required direction led strips. They are one of the favorites in contemporary lighting design.
Due to the versatility, the led strip can define volumes, light up furniture or functional areas like under kitchen cabinets. It provides a soft and diffused light. Suitable for space, ambience and general lighting track lighting. These are the saviors of spaces that don’t have a fall ceiling and have only one light outlet, usually in the middle of the room, you can linearly, distribute the lamps throughout the rail to illuminate the spaces evenly without remodeling your electrical system, for example: If your kitchen is dark and you only have one light outlet in the center of the ceiling, this system is very convenient because you can use that single outlet to distribute various light points on the track.
This way, you will obtain more homogeneous lighting with a more contemporary appearance. In some cases, this type of lamp can be considered as a decorative lamp, since industrial, contemporary or minimalist styles have adopted it as a part of their aesthetic language.
Some tips and tricks to plan a lighting design tips one by one.
- 1. Light source is not enough for a space because it doesn’t help create contrast, depth or define shapes and make the colors pop in any space. You must plan different lighting layers for optimal results, consider to have ambient lighting for overall illumination, throw table wall and floor lamps hanging and ceiling lamps, add axon lights, to highlight a specific object or area and draw attention to a factor using a spotlight. Add task lighting for a particular task or activity such as reading, writing, cooking or eating use a table or floor lamp with direct lighting for reading under cabinet life, for the countertop, a pendant lamp to illuminate the dining table and so on. A good lighting plan will combine all three sources to distribute them in different levels and layers.
- 2. Before selecting lamps first identify how a space will be used and what activities will be carried out to identify the type of lamps you need. For example, if you will use the space to read or study, you will need a lamp to directly illuminate the work surface.
- 3. It will be best to have a precise idea of how the furniture will be distributed in space. This way you can place the different lamps correctly and efficiently. For example, if you have a wall that will be the focal point of the dining room or living room space, you must consider placing spotlights or track lighting to illuminate that area and accentuate it.
- 4. When placing pendant lamps, it’s important to consider that they don’t block the view or interfere with the development of activities. If the lamp you are considering, prevents the space’s optimal functionality, consider another lamp or use it in a higher space.
- 5. Before investing in your lamps identify how and what amount of light it projects know the light effect of it, especially when you are going to buy a large amount before investing in these lamps buy one or two and test how the lighting behaves in the space, especially At night, if you understand that the light is adequate proceed to buy the amounts you need to avoid unnecessary expenses and remember guys my interior design master class is currently live.
It has everything you need to become an expert interior designer from general theory to how to start your own successful business through branding social media strategies and so much more. All of these combine in 12 modules that are super easy to digest and can be viewed anytime anywhere visit the interiordesignmasterclass.com for more information, if you’re interested.
Let me know if you like this topic, thanks for reading and remember, to always visit me this blog chooseoutdoorkitchens.com, where i share tips and valuable information on interior design, architecture and lighting design have a beautiful week. See you in the next one